Monday, December 14, 2009

Strength of the Broken

Emmy is my age. He lives in Gulu, Uganda. I have never met him, and I probably never will. I know he has the ability to light up a room with his laughter. I also know he has been through the most challenging experiences life could ever give you. He was orphaned by AIDS five years ago because his family did not have sufficient access to medical care. He walked for 2 days every month to get pills for his mother. To support her as she had supported him. As she had supported her family.

When Emmy's mother Christine passed away Emmy spoke of family. He spoke of loneliness, of fear, of being broken. He had no one left. He had two older brothers, one older sister, and one younger brother, but no mother, or father. He felt as though he had lost his support system and it took a community to build what had been taken for him.

From Emmy I find inspiration. In his story there is strength and hope. More importantly there is gratitude. He reminded me of my family. My family I feel is falling apart. Sometimes I want to walk away to deal with my own problems, but this is my family and they need me, and I need them. This is life.

No comments: